2015 Co-educators

2015 Co-educators
2015 UConn Co-educators Begin Their Cape Town Adventures

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in UConn's Education Abroad in Cape Town will tell you, there are no words to adequately explain the depth of the experiences, no illustrations to sufficiently describe the hospitality of the people, and no pictures to begin to capture the exquisite scenery. Therefore this blog is only intended to provide an unfolding story of the those co-educators who are traveling together as companions on this amazing journey.

As Resident Director of this program since 2008 it is once again my privilege and honor to accompany another group of students to this place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope,
Marita McComiskey, PhD
(marita4peace@gmail.com)

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Emily E decipering her Cape Town experiences

It’s taken me a lot of time to decipher my journey in Cape Town. I feel like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz who was swept up into a land of vibrant colors and adventure. Then suddenly my journey is over and I’m back in the land of black and white. Everything suddenly feels…flat. As much as I wanted to thrill seeking activities, it was never my original intention when visiting South Africa. It was always meant to be life transforming for me physically, mentally and spiritually. Even if I did skydiving or shark cage diving, my experience would be just as fulfilling if I didn’t do those things.

I don’t come from a suburban area, I live in Bridgeport, CT--one of CT’s most distressed cities. My neighborhood isn’t exactly safe. Drug dealings are common on my street; oddly it’s happened right outside my doorway. In general, there have been numerous murders in Bridgeport since the beginning of this year. I’m used to being on my toes, and it was a habit I brought with me to Cape Town. It seemed as though many of my housemates were uncomfortable with constantly being aware of their surroundings for their safety. Because of that, some couldn’t wait to return home--to return to safety. I wish I could have said the same. I’m not sad about it; it is just the way things are. For the first time in my entire life, I felt like I was living the life of luxury in Cape Town. My money stretched far so I was able to do things I wouldn’t normally do at home. I lived in a beautiful house in a beautiful neighborhood. Every day I woke up to mountains, palm trees and the fresh breeze.  Here in at home the area is stale and I feel claustrophobic. Sometimes, South Africa feels like a distant dream.

Because we were all told what coming home will be like for us, I expected my family and friends to not understand the entirety of my experience. So I didn’t dive into too much detail when it came to certain topics because I knew it was something they all had to witness themselves. Then graduation day came and I wasn’t that excited for it. I arrived to the UConn campus and I felt disconnected. I realized I said goodbye to this place a long time ago. The ceremony wasn’t what I expected to be either, very impersonal in my opinion. However, what made it worthwhile was sitting next to a good friend of mine and discussing my study abroad experience and personal transfiguration. On my way home I went to a nearby Walgreens to pick up a few things; meanwhile, I’m still wearing my cap and gown with my South African sash. When I approached the register, two young women caught my attention. One of them asked me “Are you from South Africa?” “No,” I said, “But I lived there for awhile and I just came back a week ago.” The woman beamed with happiness and said she and her friend were South African. She asked all about my stay there and appreciated how much I loved the country. Then she said, “Next time you visit, go to Durban! That’s where I’m from!” I had never been so happy to meet two strangers, but at the same time they weren’t. They were extremely friendly and for a few moments I felt like I was taken right back in South Africa.

My view of the United States has deteriorated as more events of social injustice continue to occur. I’ve never felt like a true American, and I feel like people who look like me never will be treated as such especially when no one protects their right to life and liberty. As much as I want to abandon this place, I have an obligation to make some type of impact to turn things around in this country.

"We weep for the blood of a bird, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those with voice"- Mamoru Oshii

Emily on Graduation Day

No comments:

Post a Comment