2015 Co-educators

2015 Co-educators
2015 UConn Co-educators Begin Their Cape Town Adventures

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in UConn's Education Abroad in Cape Town will tell you, there are no words to adequately explain the depth of the experiences, no illustrations to sufficiently describe the hospitality of the people, and no pictures to begin to capture the exquisite scenery. Therefore this blog is only intended to provide an unfolding story of the those co-educators who are traveling together as companions on this amazing journey.

As Resident Director of this program since 2008 it is once again my privilege and honor to accompany another group of students to this place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope,
Marita McComiskey, PhD
(marita4peace@gmail.com)

Monday, August 3, 2015

Onna still missing Cape Town

As a long overdue response, I am still missing Cape Town everyday. I miss the energy, the horns of the minibus, the constant opportunity that a city holds. Coming home was strange at first, everything was so familiar. As much as I wanted to arrive in the US with things being different, new people to meet in my small hometown, and all that jazz- I was painfully disappointed when I got to JFK and everything seemed the exact same. Coming back to Southbury, everything was the exact same- with the exception of the construction of a new ugly movie theater. Things are the same, but I am not the same.

I found the questions of “How was Africa?” to be pressing and quite annoying to be honest. I didn’t feel like explaining how I think I changed because it made my desire to return even stronger. I realized that when asked what my favorite part of my experience was, I changed my answer each time. Many people seemed to be quite disappointed when I told them that one of the best parts of Cape Town was the classes that I took.

With that being said, I have managed to have myself quite the adventurous summer- traveling to Montreal, Block Island, California & Philadelphia to visit friends that I hadn’t seen for months. It was nice to reunite, pleasing to know that many of my friends are on the same page as I am regarding social change, education & equality. Although I have become quite bitter to some of the insensitive side comments that I have experienced in meeting new people this summer.

I’m trying not to let my 4 months in Cape Town seem like a dream. I found myself upset some days… it took hours for me to pinpoint the reason that I felt this empty feeling. Then I realized the answer was easy; I miss South Africa, hard.

With that being said, I’m ready to take on a new adventure… possibly to South East Asia or South America after I graduate in May. But I can’t forget to enjoy the present time. I landed a position as a public affairs intern for the UConn radio station (WHUS) that I am quite excited about- I will be exploring activism and social issues at UConn (and might even be able to score my own talk show!!!!). I have mixed emotions with returning to the student body of UConn but I am trying to stay positive, I hope people respond as warmly as Capetonians did when I struck up a conversation while walking to work. I’m also excited to become more active in new groups & events at UConn, I am going to continue the concept of constantly trying new things. Although I cannot lie, I am absolutely thrilled to return to an environment with my co-educators to talk about how we feel, what we’ve learned, and further reflections on our Cape Town experience now that we have returned to the US. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure the place you are getting your information, however good topic. I needs to spend some time studying more or understanding more. Thank you for wonderful information I was in search of this info for my mission.
    Online 3d printing
    3D printing in Coimbatore
    3D printing service in Coimbatore
    3D printing in Chennai

    ReplyDelete