2015 Co-educators

2015 Co-educators
2015 UConn Co-educators Begin Their Cape Town Adventures

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in UConn's Education Abroad in Cape Town will tell you, there are no words to adequately explain the depth of the experiences, no illustrations to sufficiently describe the hospitality of the people, and no pictures to begin to capture the exquisite scenery. Therefore this blog is only intended to provide an unfolding story of the those co-educators who are traveling together as companions on this amazing journey.

As Resident Director of this program since 2008 it is once again my privilege and honor to accompany another group of students to this place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope,
Marita McComiskey, PhD
(marita4peace@gmail.com)

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

John now has two homes and his heart is split between the two

As I write this last blog post, the fact that my semester in Cape Town is truly over finally sunk in. The first couple of days it felt as if I came back just to visit for the weekend, and I was going to return to my newfound home. It’s crazy to believe that a couple weeks ago I was thousands of miles away from where I stand today. You know that saying, “home is where the heart it”? 4 months later and countless of amazing experiences have shown me I now have two homes. My heart is split between my life and my family in CT and all of the moments and experiences I’ll never forget in Cape Town. In the journey to South Africa, I learned so much not only about SA, or the USA but also about myself; where I’ve been, how I’ve lived and where I’m going.


In a way, I was lucky that as soon as I came home I dove right into my internship and kept busy. I needed to keep my mind occupied just so I wouldn’t have the time to miss it as much. There are still days in which all that I want is to sit in Rondebosch Common and let all the beauty of Table Mountain and Cape Town soak in one more time. My time there was nothing short of beautiful and mesmerizing and my biggest worry was assimilating back to “reality.” I came home and nothing really seemed to have changed. I was scared that all that I went through, all the knowledge I gained and all the personal growth I experienced in SA would have been lost or stayed behind when I came back. That was foolish of me to think. Cape town is one of those places that will always remain with you. Like I said, I now have two home and I’m glad I was fortunate enough to take part of this adventure.

Rondebosch Commons with Table Mountain in background.

No comments:

Post a Comment