2015 Co-educators

2015 Co-educators
2015 UConn Co-educators Begin Their Cape Town Adventures

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in UConn's Education Abroad in Cape Town will tell you, there are no words to adequately explain the depth of the experiences, no illustrations to sufficiently describe the hospitality of the people, and no pictures to begin to capture the exquisite scenery. Therefore this blog is only intended to provide an unfolding story of the those co-educators who are traveling together as companions on this amazing journey.

As Resident Director of this program since 2008 it is once again my privilege and honor to accompany another group of students to this place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope,
Marita McComiskey, PhD
(marita4peace@gmail.com)

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Dani wondering when she will be able to return to Cape Town

My first few weeks after returning from Cape Town have been a very emotional and interesting time.  Leaving Cape Town was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.  It was so difficult to say goodbye to the place that had been my home for five months, and the people who were so much a part of my incredible experiences.  At first, being back in Connecticut felt extremely surreal. It took a few days to settle in and get back into the swing of things and life in the US, but I am finally starting to get used to it again.  The most interesting thing that I've noticed after returning is how much I really have changed since I left for Cape Town in December.  Being surrounded by my family and friends again, I have had some very interesting conversations about Cape Town, and also about the US.  I have helped confront stereotypes about what "Africa" is like, and have also engaged in conversations with various people about inequalities in the US.  It has been my goal to spread more knowledge to those around me about South Africa and also the country we live in, and I believe I have succeeded so far.  It has been frustrating dealing with people who do not seem to understand my experiences, and describing them has been very difficult. However, I have been doing my best to be patient and just know that although others may never quite understand, the most important thing is that I have these incredible experiences and memories in my heart and mind forever, and I do have many others to share them with.  Other than that, I am just wondering when next I will be able to return to Cape Town...

Leaving Cape Town behind . . . .for now



No comments:

Post a Comment