2015 Co-educators

2015 Co-educators
2015 UConn Co-educators Begin Their Cape Town Adventures

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG

As anyone who has participated in UConn's Education Abroad in Cape Town will tell you, there are no words to adequately explain the depth of the experiences, no illustrations to sufficiently describe the hospitality of the people, and no pictures to begin to capture the exquisite scenery. Therefore this blog is only intended to provide an unfolding story of the those co-educators who are traveling together as companions on this amazing journey.

As Resident Director of this program since 2008 it is once again my privilege and honor to accompany another group of students to this place I have come to know and love.

In peace, with hope,
Marita McComiskey, PhD
(marita4peace@gmail.com)

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Ashlyn feeling at home

As the second week at my internship comes to an end I realize I finally have a routine here in Cape Town. At the beginning of the trip I wanted to do everything and never stop for a moment. Now I have no problem chilling in the house every now and again rather than finding a new crazy adventure. That’s how I know it’s dawned on me that Cape Town really is home for the next three months are not just a vacation. My internship here is going well. Surplus People Project is doing so much as an organization and I find it a little hard to grasp everything. However, I wouldn’t have it any other way. My current niche in Surplus People Project is to assist them on gaining public awareness on the new labour laws in South Africa. The new laws give more rights to labour workers, part-time workers, and contract workers. At the moment I’m working on creating pamphlets on the new laws. I’ve also spent a decent amount of time researching the issues the organization is working towards correcting.


It’s bizarre to think that this adventure just begun but it will also be ending in three months. I feel like there is so much to do and I feel bad repeating things here.  There is no way I can soak up all this beauty before I leave. This weekend I hiked Lion’sHead again and made it to the top this time. The group tried about a week ago but there was sand flying everywhere so we decided to turn around. The view from the top is amazing and we probably spent an hour on top taking pictures. This weekend we’re doing a home stay with a family in Ocean View. I’m excited and nervous, but that’s exactly how I felt coming to Cape Town so I’m not too worried!
Ashlyn with Sam, Becca, John, Taylor, Caitlin, Julia, & Jillian on the top of the world (better know as Lion's Head)

No comments:

Post a Comment